6:45 am - 3:15 pm
6:45 am - 7:15 am
7:15 am - 9:00 am
Early Bird Session
The Sickest of the Sick: How to Manage Heart Failure in the Person with Kidney Failure
Linda Wick, MS, CNP
- Describe the new terms in heart failure — heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF) and heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF) –— and the pathophysiology.
- Review the 2013 guidelines for management of heart failure.
- Discuss pearls in heart failure / renal failure management in the person with kidney failure.
9:15 am - 10:15 am
Sleep Deprivation from Both Sides of the Chair: Understanding Energy and Fatigue
William Sieber, PhD
- Discuss the causes of sleep deprivation.
- Describe the principles of physiology related to sleep deprivation.
- Identify strategies to promote sleep hygiene measures.
Uric Acid: More than Gout
Daniel Feig, MD, PhD, MS
- Review the epidemiologic association of uric acid and progression of CKD and CVD.
- Discuss the mechanisms by which uric acid causes vascular damage.
- Determine why patients with CKD have elevated uric acid.
- Explore strategies to lower uric acid levels.
- Analyze the small amount of clinic trial data on the efficacy of uric acid lowering therapy.
Retaining Patients in Home Therapy Programs, Part 1
Candy Regua, BSN, RN
- Identify patient perceptions of barriers to remaining home.
- Describe nurse perceptions of barriers to patients remaining at home.
- Discuss operational solutions to facilitate customer satisfaction and quality of life at home.
Robert C. Albright, Jr., DO
- Describe the challenges facing patients with advanced renal failure.
- Discuss the choices facing patients with advanced renal failure.
- Identify factors that will predict successful outcomes for patients with ESRD.
- Define the concept of accountable care.
- Using case studies, identify attributes of accountable care that can be incorporated into practice.
9:15 am - 11:00 am
John Burkart, MD
- Review the pathophysiology of cardiac stunning in the ESRD patient.
- Compare and contrast in-center hemodialysis (ICHD) and home therapy patients regarding incidence and outcomes of cardiac stunning.
- Discuss key clinical strategies to prevent and/or mitigate cardiac stunning in the ESRD patient.
- Integrate appropriate nursing responsibilities into prevention strategies for cardiac stunning in the ESRD patient.
Note: This session ends at 11:00 am.
10:30 am - 11:30 am
Great Debate, Great Expectation: Immunosuppressant Update 2013
Ali Olyaei, PharmD
- Describe the steps involved in aggressively screening for acute rejection.
- Explain interventions to prevent acute rejection or progression from acute to chronic allograft dysfunction.
- Identify important barriers to improving allograft and patient survival.
- Discuss the most recent medications available to prevent acute rejection.
Association of Albumin with Malnutrition and Inflammation
Eileen Moore, CNSC, RD, LD
- Describe the relationship among albumin and hospitalization, mortality, and its influence on other outcomes.
- Recognize inflammation and malnutrition syndromes.
- Discuss the importance of lean body mass.
- Apply information from an algorithm of inclusive interventions in the malnourished renal patient.
Retaining Nurses in Home Therapy Programs, Part 2
Leslie Wong, MD
- Describe the changes nephrology nursing needs to make in the 21st century to meet patient needs.
- Compare and contrast nursing assignments in home therapies and in-center environments.
- Identify factors needed for nurse recruitment and retention strategies to be successful.
CKD Decisions: The Future of CKD / ESRD Care Today, Part 2
Note: This session is a continuation of session 314
National Symposium Adjourns