6:45 am - 3:30 pm
6:45 am - 7:15 am
7:15 am - 9:00 am
Early Bird Session
Victor Gura, MD, FASN
- Describe the research technology required to develop the wearable artificial kidney.
- Explore patient inclusion and exclusion selection criteria.
- Outline the impact of potential changes in the care of the individual with CKD.
9:15 am - 10:30 am
Concurrent Sessions (311-314)
Women and Heart Disease: Past, Present, and Future
Brenda Jahnke, MSN, RN, CNS
- Describe the issues prompting the focus on women and heart disease.
- Discuss the programs, research, and outcomes of the past 10 years.
- Outline initiatives to advance healthier lives, free of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
I Need a Break: Understanding Caregiver Burden
Debra Hain, PhD, ARNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, FAANP
- Identify factors associated with caregiver burden.
- Evaluate supportive interventions for the caregiver, including respite services, counseling, and educational needs.
Hemodialysis 101: Back to the Basics
Hazel Dennison, DNP, RN, APNc, CPHQ, CNE
- Explain the basic concepts of diffusion, osmosis, and ultrafiltration.
- Discuss the characteristics of dialyzer membranes and their impact on the treatment procedure.
- Review the rationale for monitoring the pH and conductivity of the machine prior to treatment.
Managing Depression: Updates Across the Lifespan
Carol Lieser, PhD, RN, PMHNP-BC
- Describe evidence-based assessment methods for depression in children and adults.
- Select appropriate medications for the treatment of depression in children and adults with CKD.
- Discuss how to evaluate and revise treatment plans for individuals with depression.
10:45 am - 12:00 nn
Concurrent Sessions (321-324)
The Combined Liver/Kidney Transplant Conundrum
David Gerber, MD
- Review the indications and clinical considerations for a combined liver/kidney transplant.
- Describe expected outcomes in combined liver/kidney transplant patients vs. single liver or kidney transplant patients.
- Discuss the challenges involving organ supply and allocation as a result of combined liver/kidney transplant.
Tana Waack, RN, CNN
- Describe when apheresis may be indicated in the treatment of acute patients.
- Discriminate the goals of therapy from the potential complications as they relate to financial burden.
- Compare and contrast the benefits and risk of therapy in the critically ill individual.
Cystinosis: A "New" Adult Kidney Disease
Laurence Greenbaum, MD, PhD
- Describe the pathophysiology of cystinosis.
- Describe the clinical manifestations of cystinosis.
- Summarize treatment strategies for cystinosis.
Renal Palliative Care
Desi Carozza, MD
- Describe the palliative care model in nephrology.
- Compare and contrast palliative care with hospice care.
- Identify potential barriers in the implementation of a renal palliative care program./li>
National Symposium Adjourns